Telfords was founded in 1885 in Mountrath, Co. Laois. As a general merchant store it sold farm supplies, hardware, grocery and bakery. In 1970 it began specialising in hardware, building materials and farm supplies, following market trends at the time.
In 1990, Telfords opened its second store, located in Portlaoise as a response to the growing customer base and another shop was opened in Athy in 1998.
In 1993 the company acquired the current Portlaoise site from IAWS Ltd. Since moving to this site, the business has grown rapidly. A major overhaul in 2000 saw the trade centre, DIY store, yard and offices developed, while in autumn of 2006, the construction of the new electrical super store was completed.
Carrying a large product range at all of the stores, Telfords stocks over 50,000 products at any one time and endeavours to source and supply any product to meet a customer’s needs.
The company stocks building materials, electrical supplies, paint, timber floors, bathroom equipment, gas fires, solid fuel stoves, garden furniture, household items and everything the DIY enthusiast could possibly need.